Job no: 492334 Apply Online: http://listings.umbc.edu/cw/en-us/job/492334?lApplicationSubSourceID=
Work type: Staff Full-time
Location: UMBC Campus
Categories: Administrative/Clerical Support
Chemistry and Biochemistry
The administrative assistant will be the first point of contact for the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry. The incumbent will provide information for routine matters in the department for any manner of inquiry. In addition, the incumbent will have responsibility for office operations and be able to function independently.
Specific responsibilities include:
1. Edits, formats, and revises a variety of documents and materials created by others. Proofreads for grammatical, typographical and basic content errors.
2. Converts rough copy and drafts to final version quality reports, presentations, and documents. Includes incorporating edits from multiple reviewers, adding graphics and effects to presentations, and applying campus style guidelines.
3. Drafts and signs routine correspondence and replies to inquiries which do not require technical program knowledge.
4. Develops, implements, and maintains paper and electronic filing systems which meet department needs and satisfy requirements for retention and information security. Enters, updates, and retrieves information as needed. Creates reports as needed.
5. Researches, analyzes, and summarizes information and source materials for reports independently and communicates findings orally and in writing.
6. Receives and reads incoming correspondence and information. Summarizes and prioritizes review of correspondence. Screens out items to be handled personally and forwards remainder with necessary background material.
7. Receives and screens telephone calls and visitors. Independently handles procedural and substantive matters and inquiries which do not require technical knowledge or refers callers to others as appropriate.
8. Makes all necessary arrangements for travel and independently performs required administrative follow-up and record keeping.
9. Assists in preparing and administering department budget by updating accounts, and running periodic reports.
10. Acts as intermediary for supervisor, interacting with officials, staff at all levels and the public. Provides information requiring comprehensive knowledge of institutional policies, procedures, and special departmental issues
11. Anticipates supervisor’s course of action when absent and facilitates problem resolution. Interprets administrative decisions and policies to other staff and transmits directions and instructions based on authority delegated by the supervisor
12. May provide guidance and instruction to other office support staff.
|Required Minimum Qualifications:||
Requires a High School Diploma/GED and three years of experience providing administrative support. Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint required. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills are required.
|Background Screening Statement:||
A background check will be required.
|Special Instructions to Applicants:||
Please include a cover letter with your application.
|Closing Date:||August 15, 2017|
|Salary:||Pay range 9 (starting at $35,728) based on University of Maryland System Pay Program.|
|Equal Opportunity Statement:||UMBC is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications from women, minority group members, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.|
|Work Authorization||As required by the 1986 Immigration Act, be prepared to present acceptable documentation upon hire showing your identity and that you are a U.S. citizen or an alien who is authorized to work.|
Advertised: 28 Jul 2017 09:00 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 15 Aug 2017