Office: MEYR 247A
Professor and Chair
Dr. Rosenzweig’s research program aims to develop new techniques for the synthesis of 2D and 3D luminescent and electronic nanomaterials. We are focusing primarily on replacing currently used toxic and rare nanomaterials with benign and earth abundant nanomaterials to minimize adverse effects on human health and the environment while reducing the cost of nanotechnology applications. Current research projects in the laboratory involve the synthesis of luminescent quantum dots, luminescent polymer dots, luminescent rare earth containing nanocrystals and 2D materials including but not limited to InSe and Mxenes. We are investigating the role the materials’ composition and surface chemistry play in their functional properties chemical stability, and environmental and human health impact. Of particular interest is the formation of new nanomaterial architectures that combine 2D materials with nanoparticles to form new materials with newly defined functions. We are also investigating the feasibility of using our MXene 2D materials, with or without conjugated luminescent nanoparticles, as delivery vectors in agricultural applications. Finally, we are exploring the use of measurement techniques commonly used in our laboratory in combination with computational techniques (in collaboration with the Bennett laboratory) to interrogate works of art to better understand the impact of various adsorbates on their chemical stability and appearance. Research in our laboratory is supported by research grants from NSF, DOE and the Mellon Foundation.
- Connor Riahin, Kushani Mendis, Brandon Busick, Marcin Ptaszek, Mengran Yang, Gary Stacey, Amar Parvate, James E. Evans, Jeremiah C. Traeger, Dehong Hu, Galya Orr, and Zeev Rosenzweig. “Near Infrared Emitting Semiconductor Polymer Dots For Bioimaging and Sensing.” Sensors 2022, 22(19), 7218. Link to manuscript
- Connor Riahin, Adam Meares, Nopondo N. Esemoto, Marcin Ptaszek, Michael LaScola, Narendra Pandala, Erin Lavik, Mengran Yang, Gary Stacey, Dehong Hu, Jeremiah C. Traeger, Galya Orr, and Zeev Rosenzweig. “Hydroporphyrin-Doped Near-Infrared-Emitting Polymer Dots for Cellular Fluorescence Imaging.” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2022, 14, 18, 20790-20801. Link to manuscript
- Jessica E. Heimann, Jasper D. Tucker, Layla S. Huff, Ye Rin Kim, Jood Ali, Kaylor Stroot, Xavier J. Welch, Harley E. White, Marcus L. Wilson, Cecelia E. Wood, Glenn A. Gates, Zeev Rosenzweig, and Joseph W. Bennett. “Density Functional Theory (DFT) as a Nondestructive Probe in the Field of Art Conservation: Small-Molecule Adsorption on Aragonite Surfaces.” ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2022, 14, 11, 13858-13871. Link to manuscript
- Heimann, J. E.; Williams, T. H.; Bennett, J. W.; Rosenzweig, Z. “Baltimore SCIART: A Fully Virtual Undergraduate Research Experience at the Interface of Computational Chemistry and Art.” J. Chem. Educ. 2021, 98, 3172-3179 (Link to Manuscript)
- Heimann, J. E.; Grimes, R.; Rosenzweig, Z.; Bennett, J. W. “A Density Functional Theory (DFT) Investigation of How Small Molecules and Atmospheric Pollutants Relevant to Art Conservation Adsorb on Kaolinite.” Appl. Clay Sci. 2021, 206, 106075 Link to Manuscript
- Richard P. Brown, Miranda J. Gallagher, D. Howard Fairbrother, and Zeev Rosenzweig. Synthesis and Degradation of Cadmium-Free InP and InPZn/ZnS Quantum Dots in Solution. Langmuir, 2018, 34 (46), 13924-13934.
- Denise N. Williams, Sunipa Pramanik, Richard P. Brown, Bo Zhi, Eileen McIntire, Natalie V. Hudson-Smith, Christy L. Haynes, and Zeev Rosenzweig. Adverse Interactions of Luminescent Semiconductor Quantum Dots with Liposomes and Shewanella oneidensis. ACS Applied Nano Materials. 2018, 1 (9), 4788–4800.
- Miranda J. Gallagher, Joseph T. Buchman, Tian A. Qiu, Bo Zhi, Taeyjuana Y. Lyons, Kaitlin M. Landy, Zeev Rosenzweig, Christy L. Haynes, and D. Howard Fairbrother. Release, detection and toxicity of fragments generated during artificial accelerated weathering of CdSe/ZnS and CdSe quantum dot polymer composites. Nanosensing: Materials and Devices 2018, 5, 1694-1710.
- Zheng Zheng, Julia Saar, Bo Zhi, Tian A. Qiu, Miranda J. Gallagher, D. Howard Fairbrother, Christy L. Haynes, Karen Lienkamp, and Zeev Rosenzweig. Structure–Property Relationships of Amine-rich and Membrane-Disruptive Poly(oxonorbornene)-Coated Gold Nanoparticles. Langmuir 2018, 34 (15), 4614-4625.
- Bo Zhi, Yi Cui, Shengyang Wang, Benjamin P. Frank, Denise N. Williams, Richard P. Brown, Eric S. Melby, Robert J. Hamers, Zeev Rosenzweig, D. Howard Fairbrother, Galya Orr, and Christy L. Haynes. Malic Acid Carbon Dots: From Super-resolution Live-Cell Imaging to Highly Efficient Separation. ACS Nano 2018, 12, 5741-5752.
- Susan N. Pham, Joshua E. Kuether, Miranda J. Gallagher, Rodrigo Tapia Hernandez, Denise N. Williams, Bo Zhi, Arielle C. Mensch, Robert J. Hamers, Zeev Rosenzweig, Howard Fairbrother, Miriam O.P. Krause, Z. Vivian Feng, and Christy L. Haynes. Carbon Dots: A Modular Activity to Teach Fluorescence and Nanotechnology at Multiple Levels. Journal of Chemical Education 2017, 94 (8), 1143-1149.
- Bo Zhi, Miranda J. Gallagher, Benjamin P. Frank, Taeyjuana Y. Lyons, Tian A. Qiu, Joseph Da, Arielle C. Mensch, Robert J. Hamers, Zeev Rosenzweig, D. Howard Fairbrother, and Christy L. Haynes. Investigation of phosphorous doping effect on polymeric carbon dots: Fluorescence, photo stability and environmental impact. Carbon 2017, 129.