Please download the file above, fill out the details and have both the student and parent or guardian print their names and sign off on the letter, Send the letter to Dennis Cuddy, who will return the final copy back to both the PI, EHS and the Student.
WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT
- In consideration of my minor child or minor ward (“Minor”) being permitted to participate in [name of activity] (“the Activity”) to be held during the period of [specific period] I, the undersigned, on behalf of my Minor, hereby in advance RELEASE, WAIVE, DISCHARGE, AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, the University System of Maryland and its constituent institutions, the State of Maryland, their officers, agents, servants, faculty, administrators, employees, and students acting as such (collectively, “Releasees”) from and against any and all liability for any harms, injuries, damages, claims, actions, causes of action, costs, demands, and expenses of any nature whatsoever which my Minor may have or which may hereafter accrue to my Minor, arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, including but not limited to suffering and death, that may be sustained by my Minor, or to any property belonging to my Minor, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OR CARELESSNESS OF THE RELEASEES, or otherwise, while participating in the Activity, or while in, on, upon, or in transit to or from the premises where the Activity is being conducted.
- I, on behalf of my Minor, attest that I have actual and complete knowledge of the inherent risks, dangers, and hazards of a laboratory environment. I, on behalf of my Minor, understand and agree that my Minor may be exposed to acids, bases, flammable liquids, cryogenics, gasses, toxins, sharp edges, hot surfaces, mechanical impacts, and high voltage equipment.
- I, on behalf of my Minor, attest that I have actual and complete knowledge of all the risks, dangers, and hazards of the Activity, which specifically include but are not limited to 1) those enumerated in Paragraph 2.0, 2) other activities taken as an adjunct of the Activity, and 3) travel risks. As evidence of my subjective knowledge of the Activity, obtained prior to the commencement of the Activity, I UNDERSTAND THAT WHEN THE RISKS OF THE ACTIVITY MANIFEST THEY WILL RESULT IN INJURY (MINOR, SERIOUS, OR MORTAL) TO MY MINOR AND/OR DAMAGE TO HIS OR HER PROPERTY. Knowing and understanding the risks of the Activity to my Minor, nevertheless, I, on behalf of my Minor, hereby and knowingly agree to assume those risks and to release and hold harmless the Releasees who through negligence or carelessness or otherwise might be liable to my Minor (or his or her heirs or assigns) for damages.
- I, on behalf of my Minor, understand and agree that Releasees do not have medical personnel available at the location(s) of the Activity. I, on behalf of my Minor, grant permission to Releasees to authorize emergency medical treatment, if determined necessary by Releasees. I, on behalf of my Minor, further understand and agree that such action or inaction on the part of the Releasees and any resulting injuries or damages shall be subject to the terms of this WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT.
- I, on behalf of my Minor, expressly intend that this WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT shall bind my Minor, the members of his or her family and spouse, if he or she is alive, and his or her estate, heirs, administrators, personal representatives, or assigns, if he or she is deceased, and shall be deemed as a RELEASE, WAIVER, DISCHARGE, AND COVENANT NOT TO SUE the above-named Releasees. I, on behalf of my Minor, further agree TO SAVE AND HOLD HARMLESS, INDEMNIFY, AND DEFEND Releasees from any claim by me, my Minor, or my family, arising out of my Minor’s participation in the Activity.
- I, on behalf of my Minor, agree that this WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT shall be governed in all respects by the laws of the State of Maryland without reference to its conflicts of laws principles. I, on behalf of my Minor, expressly consent and submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of any court of competent jurisdiction in the State of Maryland.
- I, on behalf of my Minor, agree that each provision of this WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT shall be deemed to be a separate, severable, and independently enforceable provision. The invalidity or breach of any provision shall not cause the invalidity or breach of the remaining provisions, which shall remain in full force and effect.
- I, ON BEHALF OF MY MINOR, ACKNOWLEDGE AND REPRESENT THAT I have read the foregoing Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement, understand it, and sign it voluntarily as my own free act and deed; no oral representations, statements, or inducements, apart from the foregoing written WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT, have been made; I am at least eighteen (18) years of age and fully competent; I am the parent or legal guardian of the Minor; and I execute this WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT for full, adequate, and complete consideration fully intending to be bound and for my Minor to be bound by the same.
THIS IS A RELEASE OF LEGAL RIGHTS – READ BEFORE SIGNING
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, we have signed this WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT under seal on this day of , 20 .
Minor’s Printed Name:
Minor’s Campus ID (If One Exists):
Parent/Guardian’s Printed Name:
Witness’s Printed Name:
CC: Michael Pound
UMBC Environmental Safety and Health